The maternity package contains items you will need during the kraambed (the first week after the delivery). If you have additional insurance you often have a right to receive a maternity package from your medical insurance company. Check with your insurance company if this applies to you. If you do not receive a maternity package from your medical insurance company you can buy a complete package online. It is also possible to buy its components separately at the farmacy or drugstore.
Contents of the maternity package:
– 1 or 2 box(es) of 5×5 gauze
– 1 box of 10×10 gauze
– 30 cc 70% alcohol
– 1 of zigzag cotton wool
– 1 pack or 2 pack(s) of maternity pads
– 1 pack or 2 pack(s) of sanitary towels maxi
– 10 Fibre mats 60×40
– 1 sterile umbilical cord clamp
If you are interested in a natural maternity package you can get one at Nalini natural maternity package.
The following items do not come with the maternity package, but will be needed:
– a thermometer (not an ear thermometer)
– a hot water bottle for the baby
– a plastic sheet for on the bed to protect it (if you wish)
– 4 bed risers and a bedpan (or sturdy plastic basin). You can borrow bed risers (“klossen”) and a bedpan at the Amsterdam Thuiszorg. Telephone number: 0800 288 77 66